Sunday, November 30, 2008

Discovering Gypsy/Cabaret Punk

The World/Inferno Friendship Society

My fantastic new infatuation in music is Gypsy/Cabaret Punk music. It is a collection of Orchestra Bells, Pianos, Accordions, Saxophones, Clarinet, Tubas, and other various types of instruments. All of this mixed into a nice punk look and sound; a very nice balance. I am pretty certain my roommates don't appreciate me blasting this music, but it needs to be played at the appropriate levels to be enjoyed properly.


Amanda Palmer

In addition to a combination of great instrumentals, this genre usually employs really deep and meaningful lyrics. Here is an excerpt from the song Ich erinnere mich an die Weimarer Republik by The World/Inferno Friendship Society:



"I'm a fag, I'm a Jew, how do you do?
That's Mister Anarchist to you.
You think your scene's dead?
Well mine got killed by some dimwits'
Triumph Of The Will.
From the all ages shows,
to the full wet bars,
to the front line squats of your culture wars,
I ain't gonna hit you with the dogma or the lecturing, this has to be a purely personal thing.
You see, Pirate Jenny didn't have no friends
When those bulls they came for her, and
Sally Bowles' man got pushed up against the wall. Now everytime I see a Swiss bank I spit,
you say 'resist control' well I mean it,
'Cause it was come as you are in the cattle cars and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it, except remember,
Die Weimar."

Some bands who fall under these genres are:

The World/Inferno Friendship Society
DeVotchKa
Amanda Palmer
The Dresden Dolls

For more information on this great genre of music, check it out on Last.Fm!

Tyler

1 comment:

Andrew Hinde said...

"I am pretty certain my roommates don't appreciate me blasting this music, but it needs to be played at the appropriate levels to be enjoyed properly."

Why not use headphones then?